LSEC is operated by Penang Adventist Hospital, and is managed by a trained and qualified educator and nurse, who is assisted by a training officer and a secretary. There are three Medical Directors that oversee the quality of the course. They are Dr Patrick Tan (ACLS Medical Director), Dr Khaw Poh Guan (PALS Medical Director) and Dr Pong Kwai Meng (NRP Medical Director). There are 28 AHA Instructors paramedics, nurses, respiratory therapists and physicians, who conduct monthly training.
LSEC is located opposite the Penang Adventist Hospital on the 7th floor of Midlands One-Stop. LSEC is fully equipped with an Audio-Visual Aid, mannequins, medical supplies for First Aid Training, live manual defibrillators, and AED Trainers.
Life Support Education Centre (LSEC) provides training which includes:
- Life Support Training on adults, children, infants and neonates from basic to advanced levels for healthcare providers.
- Heartsaver courses such as First Aid, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for the workplace.
- Family and Friends CPR which includes the Hands-Only CPR for those in the community who wish to learn life-saving techniques.
LSEC is considered unique in Malaysia because:
- LSEC’s instructors are trained by the American Heart Association (AHA), the Academy of Paediatric (AAP) and the Perinatal Society of Malaysia for Neonatal Resuscitation Programme.
- LSEC is the first Life Support Centre authorised by the American Heart Association (AHA in Malaysia). For the past few years, LSEC has trained thousands of medical personnel, plus office and factory workers, not only from Penang, but also from other parts of Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand.
- LSEC is the only International Training Centre authorised by the American Health Association (AHA) in Penang. LSEC educates the public on how to handle cardiac and respiratory arrest on paediatric as well as adult victims based on the latest research. All the instructors are highly-qualified medical personnel.
In the 1980’s and 1990s Penang Adventist Hospital (PAH) took the lead to improve the care of patients by introducing several educational programmes for the doctors inside and outside the hospital. PAH invited the Loma Linda CPR Team twice during that period to conduct CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) courses in Penang Adventist Hospital and many doctors in Penang attended the training course at that time. Dr. Ng Tat Low and Mrs. Paula Sehu were the early champions involved in organising CPR training for the hospital doctors and staff.
In the 90’s, the CPR Society of Penang offered to train our first Basic Life Support Instructors. Among the first instructors were Dr. Andy Teh, Mrs Ong Ming Yen and Mr. Yanasegaran AL Vadiveloo. These three instructors worked very hard to start the BLS provider training and over the years, they have trained almost all the nursing staff.
Due to JCI Accreditation standards and the increasing demand for well-structured training based on the latest research, Penang Adventist Hospital contacted the Loma Linda University from the USA for assistance. In 2007, trainers from Loma Linda University made their first trip to the PAH. During their visit, they trained many doctors and nurses for the Provider courses on Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advance Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS); and also trained five BLS Instructors. Subsequently, there were more paramedics, nurses, respiratory therapists and doctors trained not only in BLS, but also in ACLS and Paediatric Advance Cardiovascular Life Support (PALS).
In 2008 we were authorised by the American Heart Association (AHA) as its International Training Centre (ITC) to offer CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC) courses in Malaysia. The training has been extended to not only the medical personnel of Penang Adventist Hospital but also to other private hospitals, companies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and the community of Penang.
Life Support Programme
|Family and Friends CPR for the Community||RM 30 – RM 50|
|Heartsaver Firstaid – CPR AED|
(Course Fee + Manual + Pocket mask)
|Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers|
(Course Fee + Manual + Pocket Mask)
|Adult Advance Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS)|
(Course Fee + Manual)
|Pediatric Advance Cardiovascular Life Support (PALS)|
(Course Fee + Manual)
|Neonatal Resuscitation Programme (NRP)||RM 1012.30|
|Electrocardiography (ECG) & Emergency Pharmacology||RM 150|
Heartsaver – 8 Hours (1 Day)
BLS Provider – 4 Hours (1Day)
ACLS Provider - 8 Hours (2 Day)
ACLS Update – 8 Hours (1 Day)
PALS Provider – 8 Hours (2 Day)
NRP course – 6 Hours practical
For further information, kindly contact:
Adventist Life Support Education Centre
488B-07-01 & 488B–07–02
Jalan Burma 10350 Penang
Tel: (+604) 227 8366 (Ext 150) / (+6012) 404 7851