Seventh-day Adventist Mission Clinic, 1924
On December 12, 1924, Dr. Earl Gardner opened the first Seventh-day Adventist clinic in Malaysia at 108 Muntri Street,Penang.
Dr. Gardner devoted his life to helping the poor and sick. He also participated in numerous community services for the needy.
The large sign outside Dr. Gardner's clinic read "Seventh-day Adventist Clinic. Poor Treated Free."
Penang Sanitarium and Hospital, 1931
Dr. Gardner's clinic was never empty. He also offered various services to the needy, a tradition the hospital is continuing today.
The construction of a new hospital building started in 1929 and was completed in 1931. By early 1932, the hospital saw its first patients.
The Love Hospital, 1941
The clinic at Muntri Street was relocated to 511 Chulia Street in 1932, while the hospital was under construction. A final move was made in 1939 to 422 Chulia Street.
In 1941, the Japanese invaded Penang and six months later, they took over the hospital and renamed it 'The Love Hospital'.
Two years later, the left wing, also known as 'The Japanese Wing', was built.
Penang Mission Hospital, 1945
After the war, 'The Love Hospital' was renamed 'Penang Mission Hospital' and eventually returned to its original name, 'Penang Sanitarium and Hospital'.
Expansion was necessary with increased patient demand. In 1958, the right wing was built.
This enabled the hospital to provide first-class private wards, modern operating theatres and delivery suites.
It greatly enhanced the services of the hospital.
Penang Adventist Hospital, 1960
The hospital received its current name in the late 60's when 'Rumah Sakit Peranginan dan Rumah Sakit Pulau Pinang' (Penang Sanitarium and Hospital) was changed to 'Rumah Sakit Advent' (Penang Adventist Hospital).
The name change was in line with similar changes in more than 400 Adventist hospitals and clinics worldwide.
Penang Adventist Hospital, Present
In the late 90's, Penang Adventist Hospital expanded from a 120-bed hospital to a 211-bed tertiary care facility.
The new five-story building houses a seven-theatre operating suite, a ten-bed intensive care unit, delivery suites, a neo-natal intensive care unit, an imaging (x-ray) department, a physiotherapy unit and three floors of patient wards.